Tuesday 26 July 2011

Food Hangover.

So on Saturday I went up to Cannock to the Barn's hotel and restaurant to celebrate my Uncle Barry's 70th birthday.  All I can say is I hope I look that good at 70, and I still have a sneaky suspicion he is lying about his age and is actually 20 years younger than he claims.

It was a lovely evening, and I wore a blue and white striped shirt dress and heels, I've owned it since my 18th, and am pretty sure this was the first time I'd worn it!

But on to the meal, I've been to the Barns a couple of times before and have always had lovely food, and came home feeling very full! On Saturday I originally ordered brie, pesto and sub-dried tomato filo parcels, but they had none left, so had vegetable lasagne instead.
The lasagne itself was delicious, with chunky vegetables, just how I like it.  It was very filling and not overly cheesy, which I can sometimes find a problem when dining out, and I hate when the cheese is overdone because it ends up being too rich and sickly, but this was just right.
The waiters/waitresses brought round a huge plate of vegetables, carrots, green beans and cauliflower, all of which tasted fresh and were cooked very well, for me anyway, my Mum likes her vegetables as practically mush, but I prefer mine a little bite.
The chips as you can see from the picture were huge and there were loads to eat between us and I helped myself to a fair few.  They were delicious, crispy on the outside and soft and fluffy on the inside.  I could have eaten a bowl to myself (and the were BIG bowls), but I wanted to save room for pudding.
Before going I had told myself I wouldn't order a desert, but others were having one, so I gave in...peer pressure eh?  I had a homemade lemon and ginger biscuit cheesecake:
As you can see it was a fairly big piece of cheesecake, and I must confess I only managed about half of it, the rest was finished off by someone else.  The base of the cheesecake was lovely, crunchy and not overly buttery, which can be off putting and taste a little too greasy.  I've heard before that using ginger biscuits makes for a better base and this is the first time I've had a cheesecake which has, and it was delicious.  The crunchy texture mixed with the creaminess of the topping was divine.  The topping itself was smooth and not overly lemony, but still tangy enough and not overly sweet.  I would definitely have this again, but perhaps just skip the main course and go straight to desert!
I think I slightly over did it on the food as I woke up Sunday morning still feeling extremely full and slightly dizzy and sick, almost like a hangover, though I'd only had two glasses of wine, so I think it was a food hangover...as with any good night out though, it was worth it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment