Wednesday 24 August 2011

Hummingbird Bakery

I haven't blogged since my first post really, been rather busy with work.
A few weeks ago I visited the Hummingbird Bakery in London...
From the Hummingbird Bakery I bought a Black Bottom cupcake, the picture is from their facebook page, as I forgot to take one myself.  The choice was a hard one though, as there were so many different options available :).
The cupcake came in a very cute box, and the cake looked exactly like it does on their website, so presentation was perfect.
The cupcake is described as a 'decadent, dark and dense chocolate sponge, baked with a cheesecake centre and frosted with cream cheese frosting'.  The frosting was wonderful and had a lovely smooth texture and wasn't overly sickly.  The sponge was delicious and soft and contrasted with with the denseness of the cheesecake part.  Overall this cake was simply immense, when I go again, I'd be very tempted to buy it again...if I didn't feel an obligation to try the whole range.


Inspired by this visit I downloaded the 'Cake Days' app on my iPhone and decided to give the Red Velvet Cupcakes a go.  I'd never made them before and was quite excited to try baking something new!
The recipe on the app was very easy to follow, and there was a video recipe to go with it.  The cakes turned out wonderfully (if I do say so myself) and tasted delicious!


 The only thing letting down was perhaps the frosting. It tasted sweet and creamy, but I don't think it was thick enough.  The Cake Days app provides a video on how to frost a cupcake and how to get the Hummingbird's 'signature swirl', however, I didn't quite get the hang of it and think I need a bit more practise before I'll get it right.

However I have to say they were a definite success and everyone who tried them thought they were lovely.  I can't wait to try baking another recipe when I have the time, the only problem will be deciding what to bake!

I'd recommend the Cake Days app if you enjoy baking yummy treats...download it...now!

Happy Baking :)


No comments:

Post a Comment